Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Week

I couldn't sew for an entire week because my hips said "Screw you!" and then took my good mood with them. But I've been inching along anyways and I have something to show you.

This was my collection of improv blocks before I stopped for an 8 day pain break:

Not showing strip sets.
It was not gonna be enough for a decent sized baby quilt. I wanted an easy fix so I slapped a ruler on some weird shapes and made little squares; then I created my first-ever granny square. The nice thing about my method of improv design is that I can create a block or two from whatever pattern is popular and I know it will fit into my quilt because the colours "go."

Before I put my quilt top together, I laid the blocks into roughly the size and arrangement I wanted. You can see a lot of carpet through the blocks. That's okay. My "Puzzle Piecing" method (non-patented) involves nothing more than adding fabric where needed and trimming off any excess where it's not needed. It's not precise and I don't measure. If you compare before and after photos you can see where I added, where I trimmed.

It's not a precise way of putting a quilt top together, but I do like the results.

If anyone is interested in seeing the Puzzle Piecing process in a more detailed way I could probably stand to make another quilt....

Until then, basting time! I'm crossing my fingers for better lighting on pictures of the finished quilt, but today is Winter's Last Hurrah! and it's been snowing like a maniac all day. And -17.

8 comments:

  1. Love the funky colors and fun design- it will make a fabulous baby quilt. Hope that you are soon feeling better.
    Regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sweetheart! I love this! It reminds me so much of my Grandma's scrap quilts (crazy quilts) that it's like getting a hug. I took the liberty of snagging that last photo and adjusting the colout and lighting on photoshop. If you want it give me a nod and I'll send it. You keep stitiching on hun.
    Love,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt! I love your approach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Үou're so cool! I do not suppose I've truly
    rеаd ѕomething likе thiѕ befоrе.
    So wοnderful to dіѕcoνеr somebodу with some gеnuine thoughts
    on this iѕѕue. Really.. thank уоu fоr ѕtаrtіng this uρ.
    This website is one thing thаt is neеded on the ωeb, someone with some originality!


    Feel free to surf tо my wеblog: how to flip cars at an auction

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ι аm really impresseԁ tοgethеr with уouг ωriting abіlitiеs
    and also with the structure in youг ωеblοg.
    Is that this a paid theme or did you moԁіfy it yourself?
    Εither way keep up the nice quаlity wгiting, it is rare tο look a great blog like this
    onе these dayѕ..

    Feеl free tο surf tо
    my wеb site: single family homes for rent plano

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flex waistband demands a load of buyers.

    Here is my homepage: the flex belt

    ReplyDelete

Your encouragement means so much! Thank you for commenting.