I couldn't sew for an entire week because my hips said "Screw you!" and then took my good mood with them. But I've been inching along anyways and I have something to show you.
This was my collection of improv blocks before I stopped for an 8 day pain break:
Not showing strip sets.
It was not gonna be enough for a decent sized baby quilt. I wanted an easy fix so I slapped a ruler on some weird shapes and made little squares; then I created my first-ever granny square. The nice thing about my method of improv design is that I can create a block or two from whatever pattern is popular and I know it will fit into my quilt because the colours "go."
Before I put my quilt top together, I laid the blocks into roughly the size and arrangement I wanted. You can see a lot of carpet through the blocks. That's okay. My "Puzzle Piecing" method (non-patented) involves nothing more than adding fabric where needed and trimming off any excess where it's not needed. It's not precise and I don't measure. If you compare before and after photos you can see where I added, where I trimmed.
It's not a precise way of putting a quilt top together, but I do like the results.
If anyone is interested in seeing the Puzzle Piecing process in a more detailed way I could probably stand to make another quilt....
Until then, basting time! I'm crossing my fingers for better lighting on pictures of the finished quilt, but today is Winter's Last Hurrah! and it's been snowing like a maniac all day. And -17.