Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Parliament

Sometimes this home is not the monarchy I wish it to be. The King is currently in another country, and the peasants have decided to dictate the day's activities. As Queen, I shall graciously follow along.

It started with this rice filled hot sack. I made it two days ago and it has already seen a fair bit of use, not all of it by myself. This is a problem for me because my Pixie can make the rice migrate to the ends faster than I can even it amongst the sections.

When I suggested making each girl their own hot pack, they cheered! Plus, I already had an idea in my design book:

First, we chose fabrics from the flannelette box. We chose enough for three critters, because my Pixie decided that I had to make one for her best friend "Izzy-belle" too. Only cottons for this project - you don't want anything melting or super-heating while in the microwave.

I grabbed a piece of paper and free-cut a pattern. I also eyeballed a belly piece for each owl.

Open and check: Not right yet. Too fat. Correct before cutting fabric.

Trace belly piece onto interfacing. Cut one for each owl.

Fuse and cut. Looking good.


Interface and cut out eyeballs.....

.....And beaks.

Then carefully applique in layer order: beaks and bellies first.

Do you know how to chain piece? I chain applique! Put the eyeballs together.


Put the eyeballs on the bodies. Looking good, guys!

Pin fronts and back together well.

Sew!! Clip, turn, and press. Be sure to leave an opening to stuff.

Our little owls were filled with three cups of rice and two tablespoons of lavender.

Pin closed and sew straight across the end to finish.

Ta da! My new parliament of owls.

I know that a group of owls is called a parliament because I have a thing for random, useless trivia. This very piece of information won a game of Cranium for me once. True story.

My kids love them. They wanted their pictures taken with them.


They wanted them heated up right away: 90 seconds in the microwave.

This Punk is so stoked her eyes are crossed, LOL.

And that was Day One!

I'm going to take some time this week to write out goals for 2013. I'm a firm believer in not starting everything on the first of the year - total recipe for disaster. The year will still be new in March, People! Maybe you want to join me in some goal reaching this year? More to come in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your encouragement means so much! Thank you for commenting.