Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pixie 'Mato

Early this morning while I was lying on the couch in pain.....after putting the Punk on the school bus 15 minutes late....I decided to sew. Yes, it's my hips again. They go "out" without me and I hate them for it. Boo.

And this is what I sewed: the Pop Culture Sampler is finished! It turned out awesome, if I might say so. It is about 40"x60" - a perfect size for it's new home in a crib with the Pixie's BFF. It is likely that sometime this year this darling girl will graduate into a "big girl bed," and then I'll have the fun of making another quilt for her. But I feel great knowing that she now has her baby quilt, and that I got to make it.


 I love the texture of the organic straight line quilting. It turned out perfectly, with no warping or shifting of the sandwich layers.


I'm going to have to locate a pink/orange Pigma fabric marker for writing the label. I think I'll hide the specifics under the Prairie Points.



And for my next trick; a project that's been cut out and pinned together for a week. Here goes: These funny shapes I found in a book called "Last Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts" by Joelle Hoverson. I always preview books using my library system....this one is now on my purchase list.


Start by pairing up the pieces and chain stitching them together.


 Press the seams open and pair them up again. 



It's starting to take shape.... any guesses?



Sew the last seam, leaving an opening for stuffing.




Stuff this little sucker....I couldn't find my polyester fiberfill, so I used leftover trimmings from my nine patch flimsy. If you're cheap/frugal like me, this is a good option. If you actually want to use this happy little project for it's intended purpose, go for the polyester fluff. Please.


Slipstitch the opening closed.


Grab some handy matching and/or contrasting embroidery thread and add a few strategic stitches.


And then admire your me-made pincushion! It's so pretty! I love the red/multi dots. It was a recent acquisition that I fell in love with.


Lastly, notice that pins will not go easily through a pincushion that's been stuffed with fabric scraps. Despair for a moment (all my hard work and time!). And then realize that this is a pincushion - a red one - and has been admired by the sweet'n'low Pixie throughout this entire process. Remember that she loves to swipe your tools.... and then gift her with her very own " 'mato" because just maybe, she'll leave yours alone now.

After all, happy toddler = happy mommy.

Still lots to do tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your encouragement means so much! Thank you for commenting.